Sunday, November 8, 2015

Women & their Wardrobes: With Allie

1950's fashion

Meet Allie! She is the paragon of classy and classic, earning her Bachelor of Arts in History at a prestigious liberal arts college in Northern Virginia. She has studied abroad in Rome, Italy and has traveled to four different countries, including Poland and France, and is hoping to explore new places soon. Allie's style focuses on neutral, muted tones, simple shapes and fitted silhouettes. Ever efficient, her closet is a four-season capsule wardrobe containing no more than 40 items. Allie is also a veteran thrift shopper and loves hunting for hidden treasures in consignment stores. Allie kindly consented to an interview with Yours Truly, talking about her real girl fashion and how she dresses her body shape. Now that the introductions are over, let's get down and dirty, shall we? 

*NOTE: Monica of Yours Truly Redhead has moved to Run into the Green to help PCOS babes heal through a refined sugar free lifestyle.*

Height: 5’5
Body Type: Snuggaluscious
Spirit Animal: Mamma Golden Retriever
Occupation: College Student (who loves to babysit.)
Currently Reading: Four Weddings and a Kiss, a compilation of four short stories. I love historical romance—it’s the best of both worlds!


YT: First of all, thank you for being on the blog! Welcome!  Outfit #1 is a party/business-like/day-to-night style.  Why did you pick this outfit? 

1950s style

Allie: I picked it because it's not over the top fancy, but flexible enough to work in the office and go out for drinks with the girls. I don’t like super flashy fashion so it’s muted, but still adorable and totally flattering.


1950s style

I also like the shape of the dress with the tucked side, because with my large chest size it can be hard to find flattering tops. I don’t like showing a lot of cleavage so this gives the perfect fitted but not skin-tight look.

1950s style

Polka dots add a built-in accessory because I’m not good at accessorizing! I love the pearl necklace because it’s easy to pair with everything and it pulls almost anything together.The red shoes give it a very cute style. It’s a clue to my fun side. ;)

Where Allie found the look: 
// Dress (Ross Dress For Less, $8) // Shoes (Shoe Carnival, $15-$20) // (Pearls (a gift from Kinsey) // 


YT: Outfit #2 is a cute, casual look. Can you describe it for us? 

Casual style

Allie: I like casual and functional fashion that is still feminine and cute. I love the look of skirt plus riding boot – it’s feminine and very mature, very womanly. It’s a timeless look; I don’t have energy to follow fads so I appreciate classic and classy.

Casual style

Stripes draw attention to my assets so I find it very flattering. I prefer contrasted stripes (such as this black and white stripe) rather than light stripes. And again, the pattern accessorizes for me. I LOVE three-quarter sleeves, because they accentuate your smallest point, your waist. Plus they don’t get in the way and they’re great for crispy fall weather. 

Casual style

The necklace is not gaudy but striking and brings out my eyes. It’s a quiet, dramatic touch which feminizes the casual look. The ring is flattering with my long, slender fingers and it’s Fleur-de-Lis shape is, again, classy. (Sensing a pattern?)

Where Allie got the look: 
// Skirt (Goodwill, $4) // Top ( Esse in Rome, $15) // Boots (White Mountain on Amazon, $25) // Ring ( Florence, Italy, $6) // Necklace (glass factory in Siena, Italy, $12) // 

Casual style

YT: Before we end, do you have any fashion tips for  us?

 Allie: Wear what works for you, in color and shape. Don’t follow fads that do not flatter you. Dressing yourself well is always in fashion. I always ask myself: If I were to see a picture of myself in this outfit in 5,10 or 50 years in the future, would I be glad I wore it? People’s treatment of you varies on your presentation of yourself. I want to be taken seriously, so I take my wardrobe seriously. Plus, who doesn’t love shopping?! ;) 

A huge thank you is due to Allie! The first "Yours Truly interviews women and their real wardrobes" project was a huge success! I had a blast. The next in the series is Annie, who shows us how to rock leather and lace. Check it out! 

Yours Truly, 
Monica :) 

NEW BLOG: Run into the Green. Check me out there, would ya? :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment